Race of the Barefoots of San Salvatore

LOCATION: from Cabras to the hypogean village of San Salvatore

The origin of this event dates back to 1619, when due to numerous barbarian incursions the inhabitants of Cabras found themselves having to rescue the statue of the saint through the countryside. In commemoration of this, the first Saturday of September the statue of San Salvatore is carried by barefoot runners from the Church of S.M. Assumption of Cabras up to the village of San Salvatore and then to the homonymous village country church, which rises above the hypogeum of San Salvatore, a pagan place of worship built underground around a well of medicinal waters, where, during the Nuragic age, the ceremonies related to the worship of the waters took place.